Saturday 31 October 2015

Bonus track (got a little list)

Our house guest left earlier than I had expected today, and after getting keys cut, buying a new purse, visiting our brand new local supermarket and getting some washing done I had a spare half hour and spent it playing my pipes.

I've also finally made a little list of tunes I can play to help me at sessions when  I can't actually remember what tunes I can play. I've erred on the side of caution and haven't added Heroes (mostly because it needs a set partner), Troy  or Braemar, although Braemar is probably doable on a good day.

The first part of the list is singleton tunes  which don't have set partners and don't seem to feel too lost or half-finished on their own. When the fan was thinking of putting performance sets together we did try Galloway with Braemar, so I may consider that at some point.

  • McIntyre's Farewell (which I do tend to forget that I know)
  • Bonnie Galloway
  • My Home Town
  • The Rowan Tree
  • March of the King of Laoise

Part two of the list is the smug marrieds, aka sets. (Yes! Real sets for playing in public!)

  • John Macmillan of Barra/South Georgia Whaling Song/Captn Angus MaDonald
  • Heights of Dargai/Shores of Loch Bee
  • Women of the Glen/Sound of Sleat
  • The Highland Brigade at Magersfontein/Flett from Flotta
I feel that Flett and Magersfontein get on well enough but haven't quite found their true soulmates. The others I am happy with. Captn Angus is easy going and doesn't mind making up a three as needed, but John and Whaling sound fine without him, too.


I'm still working on Miss G, still hoping that one day the Dragon will really fly. Still considering Kilbowie Cottage as a potential new tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment