Saturday 2 January 2016

Spit and polish

I've had the silver cleaning cloth out today and given the Monkey a brush up, ready for tomorrow's session. It's a nice job, sitting on the sofa with pipes on my lap and Dorney Rock, my latest Kevin Macleod acquisition, on the CD player.

In an ideal world it would have more pipe tunes on it, but it's a lovely CD, and, as always, much more varied than you might expect from a collection of tunes played on strings.  I am now rather wondering whether it would be nice to learn Farewell to the Creeks. 

The other tune that has caught my fancy is the Freeland Barbour Sixteen Miles to the Bottle. I suspect as a modern tune it will be hard to find, leaving me with my usual longing to be able to pick up tunes from listening to them. I suppose I might find the tune in this lavish-looking item from my current favourite publisher. It's a shame that they make no attempt to list any of the tunes included, although I see that Mr Barbour's own website describes the two volume set as containing all of his tunes...oh, and now I wish I hadn't looked at this at all because apparently there is a separate book with 65 of the tunes set for pipes.

Since the fan put up some more bookshelves I do actually have some space for another volume or two...but £60 is rather a lot for a few tunes, even if there are nice pictures of Scotland to go with it, and even if the chap who did the pictures (Cailean Maclean) took the picture that forms the atmospheric cover for Sealbh... Maybe there will be a paperback edition.

I mostly dropped in to remind myself (and my mythical readers) that playing daily is not the same as blogging daily...

No comments:

Post a Comment