Saturday 10 October 2015

Slight change of plan

I began on a new tune today, albeit not one of those on my list... I've been listening to a lot of Kevin Macleod and one of the tunes I'm really enjoying is Women of the Glen. Unfortunately the sleeve note for the tune is incorrect: it says that it can be found in the Seaforth Highlanders, but it can't. Luckily it can be found on Coel Sean where it is listed as coming from McLennan, although the collection link goes through to Donaldson's Broadside to Broadband.

It's a nice little tune. I thought it might make a pair with Heroes, but it won't.

While I was poking around Coel Sean I also came across Kilbowie Cottage. It is by William Lawrie and there is a little note to explain that the cottage is the residence of John MacColl, champion piper. I did feel that this ought to be the same as John MacColl's March to Kilbowie Cottage, also by Lawrie, but I couldn't make it sound like any tune I know. I need to listen to the tune on CD and try again because I'd rather not pay for the Bagpipetunes version if I don't need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment