Monday 8 December 2014

Smalls

I always feel that "girdle" is somehow a snigger-inducing word. It reminds me of adverts I used to see in the weekend papers for Miss Mary Girdles and the Playtex 18 hour girdle, featuring larger ladies being reduced to unfeasibly sylphlike proportions thanks to a swathe of heavy duty elastic. Less amusingly it's a symbol of the restrictions of women's lives: I am sure that there is an episode in The Edible Woman where  woman's reluctance to wear a girdle or similar contraption is taken to be pretty much evidence of moral delinquency, if not downright insanity. These days it is more likely to conjure up the lovely, and surely girdle-free Ms Lawson, and her girdlebuster pie.

I was rather bemused, when googling these pieces of underwear to discover that you can still buy such things... The only girdle I have is Miss Girdle, and she's coming on OK. She has speeded up since the last time I recorded, perhaps become more uneven. This is a prime example of slowing up on the tricky bits and racing through the easier bits. She's also almost totally denuded, poor girl, of any but the essential gracenotes, which seems a shame.

I've mentioned before that I've a mind to pair Miss G with Horsburgh. My problem has been that I felt Horsburgh was going to be one of those tunes that somehow I never quite manage to learn. The A part I've had for ages, the B part, I felt, was eluding me. I've pushed the dots away this evening to test things out and I find that I know the whole tune, although there is one bar in the first version of the B part that gives me pause for thought, and I have a slight tendency to repeat the first version of the B part, or to run straight into the second version. But on the whole I *do* know it, and now just need to work as getting it better, with Miss G.

I've still not written about Inner Sound. This is partly down to wondering how useful it is to write about CDs - the fan (not originally, but I've forgotten where he borrowed it from) says that writing about music is like dancing about architecture...and he has a point, although generally language is our main medium for expressing thoughts on all aspects of life, so why not music? Less philosophically the CD is in the car where I have had it on permanent loop for 3 or 4 weeks, and I don't want to bring it in in case I forget to take it back out. Sometimes you are recommended to have two copies of a cookery book or gardening book: one for the kitchen/shed and one for the bedside. Inner Sound is definitely a two-copy CD: one for the car and one for indoors.
 
Check this out on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment