Monday 24 November 2014

The case of the missing Strathspey

As I ran through my various tunes on the learning pile last week it occurred to me that Horsburgh Castle sounds rather nice when followed by Miss Girdle. Miss G is coming on nicely. Horsburgh is OK. The A part is there, I have a tendency to run straight to the second B part, and there are one or two bars where timing is not quite right. With a bit of work though hopefully I can make a set of them. Horsburgh is a march and Miss G a reel, so I'm two thirds of the way to the classic MSR.

I managed a set at a session this weekend: Magersfontein and Flett. The other intended pairing, Dargai and Bee, I flunked because I was nervous. I sat next to a fiddle player who is in a band and confessed to similar nerves, and I found it comforting to have her there. She pointed out that the expectations are your own rather than anyone else's, which is true, but... The ex-band's fiddle player said he thought I was very confident (which shows how wrong people can be!!)

I thought I'd manage four days of playing last week. I did Thursday, which wasn't on my plan, then flunked Saturday. Still, what with the session and two lots of warming up on Sunday I played a fair bit. Didn't play for long today but put the A chanter on when I put the pipes away.

At some stage I must mention my new favourite CD: Inner Sound from the Whistlebinkies. It's on permanent loop in the car at the moment and I've abandoned the radio for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment