Thursday 18 September 2014

Five things - Iain Macinnes

I've listened to as many smallpipers as I can find, hoping to hear ideas for new tunes to play, to learn how the pipes can be used, how they can sound, and to inspire me to carry on learning and improving. I also listen for the simple reason that I love the sound of the pipes, and the music they play.

Very early on I identified a favourite piper - Iain MacInnes. Why Iain? I enjoy his selection of tunes: he favours the old pipe tunes, quick steps and so on, and I enjoy hearing those.I also enjoy some of his more unusual choices: a spot of Handel, or some Northumbrian tunes.

I love the choice of instruments to accompany him, especially on his own CDs:  harpsichord isn't a standard pairing with smallpipes, but it's as wonderful as it is unexpected. I love his arrangements, and the CDs are all produced in a way that has the pipes sat with the other instruments, not drowned out by strumming guitars as happens elsewhere. It isn't all smallpipes: Iain himself plays GHB, border pipes and whistle on these CDs. He also uses smallpipes in a variety of keys (A, C and D)

As lists of five things go this is very much a list of four, and two of those may be cheating. Sadly Iain has only put out two CDs of his own. I've also included one made with Smalltalk and one with Ossian, just because they are very much in the same style: serious, low key, well-arranged, beautifully played traditional Scots music. I've excluded Canterach, which has just as much (or little) of Iain as the Smalltalk and Ossian CDs, because the style is very different indeed: more modern with a bit of a rock vibe.

So, just the four. There are other CDs that allow you a passing glimpse of Mr MacInnes, and I will list those in a further post. In the meantime these four are all you need for piping heaven. And Mr MacInnes, if you ever pass by this blog post may I humbly submit that a further CD really wouldn't go amiss. 

1. Sealbh. Greentrax 2009. 11 tracks, 10 of which involve smallpipes. Also GHB and whistles. Tunes encompass quicksteps, Ewan MacColl and Handel.

2. Tryst. Greentrax 1999. 11 tracks, of which 9 have smallpipes. Also GHB and whistles. Good sleeve notes with lots of interesting snippets about tunes.

3. Smalltalk.Greentrax 1994. This CD is by the band Smalltalk, which was Iain with Billy Ross and Stuart Morrison, all formerly of Ossian. 11 tracks.Some of them are songs, but when it's Billy singing you don't mind the break from pipes. Iain also plays whistle. 

4. The Carrying Stream. Greentrax 1997. My favourite Ossian CD. Iain, Billy and Stuart with the addition of William Jackson (harp, piano, whistles, vocals). Iain also plays whistle. As with Smalltalk some tracks are songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment