Tuesday 22 July 2014

And one in the wash

One of my favourite pastimes is planning. Actually, planning makes it sounds too organised. Speculating? OK - maybe it's just daydreaming. I ponder possibilities of yarn and patterns. I consider fabric. I make lists of books to read. I mark up recipes in my favourite cookery books. I have big plans for the allotment in the autumn which involve moving the strawberry beds, replacing the raspberries with a better variety and finding room for two more redcurrants.

Musically my plans are modest. I intend to avoid distraction by alternating days I play with days going down the plot. In some ways this is pointless. The two activities don't really overlap. Piping needs to be done before dinner. In the current weather work at the plot needs to be done after dinner, when it's cool. But there are so many other things to squeeze into an evening.... So, one day piping, the next day plotting, as it were. (From my childhood - perhaps from books set in even more ancient times - I have the concept of three of everything: one on, one off, and one in the wash...)

My plans go agley so often, but I enjoy them while they last. Everything in my plans is so neat and tidy and organised.

I played yesterday, and enjoyed it very much. Then I got out the silver cloth and gave the Monkey a good clean. Today the plot. Tomorrow I'll be late home after work so maybe have time for neither... So much for plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment