Saturday 3 May 2014

Blue Bonnets

I've played quite bit today, and it has gone well, although I managed to get through an hour without using my drones as all, and I also realise it's a while since I played in A. I've swapped chanters so next time I'll be encouraged to at least start with A.

Recording is All the Blue Bonnets are Over the Border. Suffering from a bit of red-button-itis today. Speed doesn't sound how it feels, although I think I slowed down for this because the faster versions were more likely to hit the skids. It's particularly lacking the rather joyous "here we come!" opening that Seudan manage.

I'm  finding the timing for the end of the final bar and back to the very beginning difficult to manage, unless playing very slowly. (There's only one run through on the recording as I was getting fed up with it and cutting my losses.) The birl on the first low A and various repeats was there but faded out over successive playings today, and I cannot persuade my fingers to double the B's anywhere.

I'm also reminded that it's easier to throw on D when playing in A. My fingers have a tendency to curl a little on the chanter on D. I wonder if a doubling and strike would work better?

As ever, wondering what it would go with to make a set. As a four parter it could perhaps have just one other tune: maybe one of those shorts I have: Gaelic Club, Murray, Highland Lassie...?


Check this out on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment