Tuesday 28 January 2014

Reverse gear

Back to D this evening. It's so much easier to move from A to D than to go from D to A. I played Glomach and Balmacara, both with dots, but  starting to feel the possibility of losing the dots. For a start I'm finding it easier to find and move on the next section or the second version of a repeat. This is particularly helpful as one of the tunes ends each part with a short A, and I've been drawing that note out while I search for what comes next. I can hear the tune as I play and know at once when I've made a mistake. All good signs.

In a brief half hour session I played through 10 tunes and it occurred to me that actually I have quite a list at the moment. It's a while since I last did a playlist, so here's an update. You'll note I've gone backwards: more tunes have fallen off then been added.

Tunes I'm playing at the moment

  • Bonnie Galloway
  • Captain Angus L MacDonald
  • Flett from Flotta
  • The Heights of Dargai
  • The Highland Brigade at Magersfontein
  • March of the King of Laoise
  • McIntyre's Farewell
  • My Home Town
  • Over the Cabot Trail
  • The Rowan Tree
  • The Shores of Loch Bee
  • The South Georgia Whaling Song


Tunes I'm supposedly learning/improving/working on 

  • Balmacara
  • Barren Rocks of Aden
  • Boy's Lament for his Dragon
  • Captain Grant
  • The Falls of Glomach
  • The Glasgow Gaelic Club
  • The Highland Lassie Going to the Fair
  • Murray's Welcome
  • The Portree Men
  • Troy's Wedding
Not that I can't play these - some dotless, it's just that they haven't clicked, somehow. Some I never quite get reliably dotless, some feel a little lost and aimless without being part of a set, some are perfectly nice but somehow a bit...dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment