Monday 2 September 2013

Marching on

I've still not decided one way or the other whether to play every day this month, but I got the Monkey out today, just in case. It was a bit of a rush. It's been warm today, and is supposed to be warmer still for the next two days, so I really wanted to get down to the plot and do some watering, but the evenings are drawing in and the jobs that need daylight need doing sooner rather than later. I got dinner on the go, rushed out, rushed back, got dinner in the oven and then, because I clearly don't have enough distractions and because there was room to push my stress levels higher, I reorganised a kitchen drawer. It's possibly a girl thing, and possibly it's just me...

When I got the Monkey out the stress and rush melted away, and I just wish I'd had longer to play. I picked my way through some tunes in Barry's book. Pretty much everything I play at the moment is a march. They tend to be reasonably straightforward and not too fast, so good for a beginner. Flicking through the book I stuck to trying out marches. These are Nova Scotian marches, however, not Scottish ones, and the difference is clear. The timings are odd, they do unexpected things, there are notes in odd places. Some of them, as far as I could get an approximation of them, sounded good, though. I need to see if I can hear them anywhere to help me with the timings, because these are good tunes, and ones I'd like to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment