Saturday 7 September 2013

Commitment issues

There are people, apparently, who are happy to hang out with someone and sleep with them, but just don't want to be introduced to family or friends or be referred to as that person's significant other, or have that person call them, ever. I'm starting to feel like just such a cad. I've played every day so far this month, but I just can't bring myself to say that I am going to continue for the rest of the month.

I think it's partly that I played for 8 days out of 9 before the month began, so am actually looking at more than a month in total of playing every day. I'm also feeling low in energy and enthusiasm generally, and although playing actually gives me a boost it's finding the mental energy to pick up my pipes to get that boost that's proving a bit of a barrier. Which all comes down to the fact that I don't like to fail - I don't want to say I'll play every day this month in case I can't actually manage it.

Playing today not as good as previous the two days, but going well, nevertheless. I made it to Nicholson's today to get a new reed for my practice chanter. They didn't have the Seaforth Highlanders in stock, but were happy to order it in for me. Did I play with a band, they asked. No, I said, I'm a smallpiper. It felt a bit reckless, somehow, to tell a piper that I am a piper, rather than say that I am learning the pipes. I'm a smallpiper, I said. Sounds like commitment to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment