Sunday 10 February 2013

Before and after

I've been admiring quicksteps, particularly the set on Sealbh that has The Hills of Perth, The Braes of Busby, The 42nd Highlanders and Delvinside. The latter caught my ear first. I feel it might go nicely with the Dragon. I also like Hills and the 42nd. Sadly I've not been able to find dots for the Hills. The 42nd seem to have been a well-travelled bunch and spent a good deal of time saying farewell to various places. I did find a plain farewell (i.e. not a farewell to anywhere in particular) but I don't think it's the same tune.

Delvinside isn't easy. There are March and Strathspey versions and I've picked a march as hopefully being nearer to the quickstep, and am listening to Mr McInnes to pick up the timing from him. Not totally sure that the last few bars are the same as my dots, but it's difficult to tell because of the speed. He sounds, somehow, as though he's playing slowly: I think it's because he plays calmly and with precision. But it is a fast tune and one where the grace notes,especially in the opening bars of the B part, really give it some shape.

So what I've done here is two recordings. The first is me literally having printed the dots off and playing it through from sight. No drones as as the speed I'm going they waver and bleat and distract me. I've played for just over an hour, on and off, this evening. Not all of it at this: The Rowan Tree, My Home Town, The Eagles' Whistle (working on some embellishments and variations and just getting the B part right). I've focussed on the A part. Still no drones and limited gracing as I was concentrating on timing and speed. I have improved from the first read through, but the recording doesn't sounds as good as I though my playing did and I swear the best version was where I apparently didn't hit the record button firmly enough, but at least that was for the "after" which could be repeated, whereas hopefully I won't be repeating the "before"!!

The "before" version...


Check this out on Chirbit

And the "after".


Check this out on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment