Saturday 5 January 2013

Marching on (March of the King of Laoise)

So I spent a happy hour listening to more versions on YouTube: Allan Macdonald, Allan MacDonald and St Laurence O'Toole, the Chieftans, French bagpipes, an electric folk band then I had lunch and tried again. Back on the practice chanter and pleasantly surprised at how long I can play for, considering how long it is since I played it. However, I've got a slight cold and the after effect of all that blowing feels as though the entire army of the King of Laoise has stamped on the top of my head.

Back with Morag and still not feeling comfortable to the pressure levels, and finding my hands tensing, especially my right hand, so that's hopeless for getting cleanly on to those lower notes. Starting to play from memory.

I have recorded. Minimal gracing, needs fixing. Could be a tad faster. Timing is poor, especially around the 7th and 8th bars of the A part. My fingering on the bottom half of the chanter very poor: those low Gs are abysmal, frankly, and the BGD, BGB, DGD complained about earlier also poor. Still - plenty of room for improvement and I'm not going to mind playing this lots more times, because I love it.


Check this out on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment