Sunday 27 January 2013

Whistle down the wind

I meant to start earlier today, but couldn't quite tear myself away from Peter May's The Blackhouse. Unusual crime story - the usual copper-with-complicated-private-life, pain in the neck superior officer and comic sidekick, but lots of very evocative writing about the Isle of Lewis, and really the mystery is all in the protagonist's past, hidden on the island, and the murder that sets everything in motion is almost a red herring.

I played the King, mostly. I've been trying to stick in all the gracenotes, which slows it down, but does make it sound richer and more as it should. So long since I played a half F doubling that I had to stop and work out what it was. The doubling on B is good - I'm pleased with it - just a chirrup. The double E is...well, a disgrace. Not so much a chirrup as a fat man with his foot stuck in a bucket tripping up a step. It's along time since I went through any of the exercise books I have, and I think I should revisit them, probably on the practice chanter. Still a long way from playing the darned thing dotless though, and I don't know why. I have played phrases over and over until you'd think they were burned in my brain, and two seconds later I can't play a single note of them.

The recording is the Eagle's Whistle. I had lost the tune, and asked the fan to remind me. He hummed the first couple of bars and there I was, playing it again. Need to listen to the various versions I have to get gracenotes. It's also still only the A part. The fan suggests it would sit nicely on the end of the Rowan Tree. I recorded twice. The first time I was distracted by reading the story of Andy's Australian defeat and the second by the thought that I needed to skip out and put petrol in my car before dark. This is the version I'm adding here.



Check this out on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment