Monday 7 January 2013

Cooking with Morag

It was reasonably quiet at work today, and I was thinking about music, and wondering if I ought to have a sort of new year resolution to play more often - perhaps to says that I will play for at least 30 minutes each  day in February. February is nice and short, of course, and includes half term. It's also before the evenings draw out and the siren call of the allotment begins. And what are 30 minutes? It will just mean that dinner is late, or that we wear un-ironed clothes, or that I don't get much knitting done, or that I miss The Archers once in a while.

As I started on dinner this evening I thought how tired I felt and how nice it would be to lie down for 10 minutes..and then I thought perhaps I'd like to pipe for 10 minutes. So out came Morag. I played the Atholl Highlanders, which I've not played for so long I couldn't even remember what it was! Then the Rowan Tree and Teribus, and so on to the King. I tried to play dotless, I really did. I couldn't get past the first half of either part. I tried on the practice chanter, in case my fingers remembered that way. I tried listening to the recording several times over, but at that point the hob timer went off and I had to check things and re-time things...and generally didn't really listen to the recording. Once I'd moved dinner on to the next stage I whipped the dots out and played a few times through.

So I played - dinner will be about on time(ish), and nothing got (very) burnt in the process. Proof of concept, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment