Friday 30 November 2012

Duet with drones

First posted Feb 4th, 2012 by newpiper

Skipping over the previous effort... This is a duet with my fan. Yes - he's a much better musician than me! It's partly an attempt to try that drones-going-on-their-own thing. I couldn't find a comfortable way to hold the chanter closed on my leg - and the slightest movement means air escaping and the inevitable note slipping out. At the other end of the piece it means not stopping, flopping and rubbing the bits that hurt (my standard ritual), but remembering to keep pressing on the bag and to keep pumping. Result not bad, but could be a lot steadier. Red-button-itis caused the fluffing of a few notes in the second time of playing. Grace notes patchy - the D throw still my best (and favourite). Much more work needed on timing - back to Vicki's smallpipe tutor - "one...two-and...three...four-and..."

Recording - Ae Fond Kiss.


Ae Fond Kiss duet on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment