Friday 30 November 2012

Danger - Pipe on the Hob

First posted Mar 7th, 2012 by newpiper

I practised at the weekend without either recording or writing anything here. I don't want to feel that I must always blog when I've practised - or even that I can only blog when I practice. It's not how my other notebooks work.

Piping takes a little time to set up. With the chanter I could be in the kitchen, have half and eye on something on the hob, and run through a tune. I feel that pipes in a kitchen are probably a health and safety hazard. Recording and blogging takes up more good piping time.

I'm starting to note a tendency to feel that I haven't got time to play, or I am too tired to play. This evening I found just 20 minutes, but it was 20 good minutes. I felt comfortable, I enjoyed the tunes, I enjoyed the sound of the pipes, and I came away feeling very upbeat.

I’m also finding that it’s useful to have a pattern to my playing. I start with a scale or two (and I’ll probably talk more about exercises another day), I play a tune or two that I feel reasonably comfortable with, I try a new tune (currently Leaving Friday Harbor). If the new tune doesn’t go well I feel I’ve had a “bad” session, so I find coming back to a tune I know and playing that through means I end on a high note (not literally, obviously).

I don’t want to keep learning new tunes until I’ve got the hang of the old ones, and I don’t think I‘ve improved enough to make it worth reposting tunes. I thought I’d recorded a new tune this evening, but turns out I didn’t...so here are some scales. Enjoy!

Recording - scales.


Check this out on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment